An original stage adaptation of the beloved classic by Norton Juster, with illustrations by Jules Feiffer. Available for North American touring starting fall 2018.
By special arrangement with Norton Juster and Jules Feiffer
A masterful fusion of engaging storytelling with the performing and visual arts, which appeals to all of the senses, stimulates intuitive thinking and captivates adults and children alike.
Norton Juster’s fantastical The Phantom Tollbooth begins with an introduction to the story’s hero: “There was once a boy named Milo who didn’t know what to do with himself — not just sometimes, but always.” One day a mysterious tollbooth appears in Milo’s room and having nothing better to do, he drives his toy car through it. To his astonishment and increasing delight, he finds himself in a peculiar new world, where everyone he encounters is literally an embodiment of their name, from the ticking watchdog, Tock, to the loveable but nonsensical Humbug.
Milo soon finds himself on an eventful and dangerous quest: he is tasked with rescuing the Princesses Rhyme and Reason, who, in the war between words and numbers, have been banished to the Castle in the Air. Along the way he meets Azaz the Unabridged, the king of Dictionopolis, his brother the Mathemagician, the ruler of Digitopolis, and Faintly Macabre, the not-so-wicked Which. Milo travels through the Forest of Sight where he experiences different Points of View, accidentally leaps to the Island of Conclusions and travels through the Mountains of Ignorance, where he must escape its Demons in order to save the Princesses. With the help of his steadfast companions, he perseveres and brings Rhyme and Reason home, restoring peace to the realm.
Along the way something magical happens to Milo; he discovers the delights of friendship, curiosity and knowledge, and that life — his own life — is filled with endless possibilities. Enchantment Theatre Company is thrilled to bring this captivating story to the stage. Using puppets, masks, magic, inventive scenic effects and original music, the wonder and adventure of the story comes alive. Join us as we journey along with Milo to the Lands Beyond and discover that with humor, good friends and a little bit of courage, anything is possible.
About the Production
- Exclusive production authorized by author Norton Juster and illustrator Jules Feiffer
- Story adaptation by Jennifer and Landis Smith and Leslie Reidel Artistic Directors of Enchantment Theatre Company
- Lively musical score by Charles Gilbert, composer of Enchantment’s Peter Rabbit Tales
- Award winning production design by C. David Russell, designer for Enchantment’s Peter Rabbit Tales
- Show running time 60 minutes
- Excellent study guide available as well as online interactive materials for students, teachers and parents
- Recommended for grades 1–6; Ages 6–11; Public audiences: all ages!
- Minimum performing area 35’ wide by 20’ deep
- Lighting: a minimum of 8 front of house instruments/12 1,200 watt dimmers and DMX interface with company ETC Nomad brand lighting console
- House sound amplification system capable of accommodating company audio input
- Power: 4 duplex 20 amp AC outlets
- Load-in 2 hours; load-out 60 minutes
- Load-in & load-out: 4 crew members
- Performances: 1 sound operator
- Language Arts: reading, vocabulary, spelling, grammar, figurative language, creative writing as storytelling
- Literature: plot, character development, themes
- Geography/Map skills
- Social Studies/History/Biography
- Visual Arts: form, color, drawing
- Performing Arts: theater, music, dance
- Mathematics: numbers, functions, time, averages, geometry
The Phantom Tollbooth — Honors and Inclusions
- 100 Best Children’s Books of all Time
- NY Public Library 100 Great Children’s Book List
- NEA Teachers’ list of Top 100 Books for Children
- School Library Journal Top 100 Chapter Books Poll
The Phantom Tollbooth leaps, soars and abounds in right notes all over the place as any proper masterpiece must.